2021-22 Information Packet…
What is a Competitive Dance Company?
Competitive dance is for the dancer who wants to become more involved in dance and take his/her dance training to the next level. As a competitive dancer, one will receive advanced technical training that is designed to challenge and inspire him or her to grow both as a dancer and as a person. At GDU, we believe competitive dance also teaches important life lessons including teamwork, self confidence, dedication, and perseverance.
GDU Star Company is a serious commitment. Once you have committed to our company you must remember that we require you to make us your FIRST COMMITMENT. Classes, rehearsals, and performances must take precedence over all other extra-curricular activities.
What are dance competitions?
Dance competitions are events where dance studios in an area (usually the state) come together to compete against each other with pre-choreographed dance routines. Competition categories are generally grouped by dance style, group size, and age of competitor(s). A panel of professional judges will score the dance, and provide comments and critiques. Winners receive awards, prizes, and chances to compete at higher-level competition (National Championships).
Audition Dance Combo Classes
Mini and Shooting Jr.
May 17th 7:00-8:00 Shooting Jr. Combo Ages 7-10
May 17th 8:00-9:00 Shooting Teen Combo Ages 11 and up
May 19th 5:00-5:45 Mini Combo Ages 3-6
May 17th 4:00-5:00 Jazz Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 11 and under
May 17th 5:00-6:00 Lyrical Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 11 and under
May 17th 6:15-7:00 Musical Theater Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 11 and under
May 17th 6:00-7:00 Jazz Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 12 and up
May 17th 7:00-8:00 Lyrical Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 12 and up
May 17th 8:00-8:45 Musical Theater Combo for Rising/Shining Ages 12 and up
Company Parent Meeting: Thursday May 13 6:00pm
Dance Company Auditions: Saturday May 22nd
10:00-11:00 Shooting Teen Ages 11 and up
11:15-12:15 Shooting Star Company Ages 7-10
12:30-1:15 Mini Company Ages 3-6
1:30-3:30 Rising/Shining Star Company Ages 11 and under*
3:30-5:30 Rising/Shining Star Company Ages 12 and up
* Anyone interested in Hip Hop Company only must submit a 30 second audition video . In addition, please join the Rising/Shining Company audition that matches the dancer’s age. Any dancer interested in a hip hop competition dance will also need to submit a 30 second audition video.
– Dancers will need to wear ALL black, have all dance shoes available, and have hair up in a nice, neat ponytail.
– Each dancer will need to pay an $35.00 audition fee (cash or check only).
– Dancers must be stretched and ready to audition at scheduled time.
– Please remember it is VERY IMPORTANT TO BE ON TIME TO ANY AUDITION!!